Irina A. Vasilyeva - President of Russian Society of Phthisiologists, National Medical Research Center of Phthisiopulmonology and Infectious Diseases of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation, Head of Special Commission in Tuberculosis Control of Expert Council by the Russian Ministry of Health, Head of Appraisal Qualification Commission in Tuberculosis Control by the Russian Ministry of Health, Editor-in-Chief of Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Diseases, Member of WHO Strategic and Technical Advisory Group, Expert of World Health Organisation on MDR TB, Member of the International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Diseases, Member of European Respiratory Society.
In 1990 Irina A. Vasilyeva graduated from I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical Institute, in 1990-1994 she was a clinical resident specializing in tuberculosis control in Central Tuberculosis Research Institute by RAMS.
From 1994 she worked as a Junior Researcher and then asa Senior Researcher of CTRI, from 2000 as an Academic Secretary, from 2002 - as a Leading Researcher and from 2008 she was the Head of Phthisiology Department.
In 2013 Irina was appointed to the position of Chief Visiting Phthisiologist of the Russian Ministry of Health.
Starting from July 2016 she is the Director of Research Institute of Phthisiopulmonology by I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University.
In 1997 Irina A. Vasilyeva defended her candidate's thesis and in 2003 her doctor's thesis. In 2012 she was awarded the Professor's title.
From 1999 to 2012 she had the following international training:
Comprehensive tuberculosis: international approaches with special emphasis on MDR tuberculosis
Program on Tuberculosis and Pulmonology
International Training for Advisors in Multiple Drug Resistant Tuberculosis (MDR TB)
Program Management in Tuberculosis Control
Area of expertise of Irina A. Vasilyeva includes the following:
- Scientific development of effective strategy for treatment of tuberculosis patients suffering from multiple and extensive drug resistance, tuberculosis patients with concurrent conditions including HIV, diabetes etc;
- Scientific development of tuberculosis prevention in HIV patients;
- Development of new immunological tests for differential diagnostics of latent and active tuberculous infection;
- Assessment of the role of cellular technologies in the integral treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis;
- Research and development of tuberculosis treatment tactics based onmolecular-genetic diagnostic techniques of drug resistance;
- Investigation of correlations between genome and drug resistance of tuberculous mycobacteria;
- Studying the prevalence of genotypical variants of tuberculous mycobacteria in the Russian Federation and their impact on epidemiological rates;
- Studying mechanisms and risk factors of drug resistance development.
Irina A. Vasilyeva is the author of 175 publications including 3 monographs (Hirsch index - 10). She was the Academic Advisor for 9 theses: 8 candidate's theses and 1 doctor's thesis, and now she is advising for 2 doctor's theses and 2 candidate's theses.